And just when you thought divorce couldn’t get any messier…
We’ve all heard of the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard divorce debacle… heard the incessant, firing shots, of accusation, slander, and defamation, through the tabloids. It’s been three years since the divorce was settled in court, but the whole nasty drama has reared its ugly head once again.
In 2016, Heard took footage of Depp throwing a wine glass in anger, and testified that he had hit her.
Amber supporters condemned Johnny’s behaviour, whilst the Pirates of the Caribbean star’s ex-wife, Vanessa Paradis, and best friend, Doug Stanhope, claimed that he would never hurt a woman.
Public perception changed, however, in 2019, following Johnny Depp’s decision to file a $50-million defamation case against Amber, presenting evidence to indicate that he was, in fact, the victim of the abuse.
What qualifies as domestic violence?
According to California Courts, ‘Domestic violence’ is abuse or threats of abuse when the person being abused and the abuser are or have been:
- in an intimate relationship
- married or domestic partners
- are dating or used to date
- live or lived together
- or have a child together
- when the abused person and the abusive person are closely related by blood or by marriage.
Domestic Violence Laws say “abuse” is:
- Physically hurting or trying to hurt someone, intentionally or recklessly; •Sexual assault; •Making someone reasonably afraid that they or someone else are about to be seriously hurt (like threats or promises to harm someone); OR •Behavior like harassing, stalking, threatening, or hitting someone; disturbing someone’s peace; or destroying someone’s personal property.
What a drama!
There are always two sides and divorces are emotional, and often ugly, proceedings, so it’s important to have a skilled lawyer whose on your side who will effectively negotiate the emotional and legal minefield.
When it comes to divorce cases, Vincent Miller is the best. He’s your go-to man when relationships go south.
Winning, from experience, that’s Vincent Miller.